History of Portage Learning
Portage is the name given to the college courses and specialty programs offered by NursingABC, Inc. See below for the history of NursingABC. Additional information about NursingABC can be found at www.nursingabc.com.
1972 - 2000
• In 1972, Dr. Ken Hartman, Professor of Organic Chemistry at Geneva College, was commissioned by Jameson Hospital School of Nursing (New Castle, PA) to develop a program of instruction in lab chemistry. The course was to be taught to a group of nursing school applicants who were deficient in required high school chemistry. The course met two evenings per week, for six weeks, during the next five years.
• Due to the need for students to take this chemistry course during the daytime hours, the course was taught in one-on-one meetings between Dr. Hartman and each student as an independent study.
• High school equivalent algebra and lab-biology courses were added to the curriculum as requested by the five nursing schools that were using the program.
• Several area high schools began to send students for instruction in chemistry.
• Several area radiology schools began to use the program as a method for their under-prepared applicants to meet entrance requirements, and high school equivalent geometry and lab-physics courses were added to the curriculum as requested by these schools.
2002 - 2004
• To accommodate a greater number of students, the curriculum was offered by distance-learning methods and was given the name "NursingABC", making possible the completion of the course from the comfort of home and alleviating most of the inconveniences associated with travel to a classroom.
• High school equivalent algebra II and basic math courses were added to the curriculum.
• An advance-placement equivalent (or CLEP-prep) psychology course was added to the curriculum enabling students to earn college credit for General Psychology.
• The entire NursingABC program underwent accreditation by the Middle States Association Commission on Secondary Schools.
• NursingABC received Middle States Accreditation on October 28, 2005.
2006 - 2010
• A online dosage conversion tutorial and a math remediation tutorial were created and made available to nursing students and faculty via the NursingABC website.
• A new website was commissioned to allow students to enhance the course delivery and content and provide a better educational experience for the students.
• NursingABC partnered with a Middle States accredited college in order to begin to offer college level courses to students. The college program was launched under the brand name Portage and can be found at www.portagelearning.com.