Request An Info Packet

Register Now

Free Info Packet

Want more info? Please fill out the fields to the right to help guide your decision.

On the Front Lines of Caring: Nursing in a pediatric intensive care unit

April 12, 2017

Recently I caught up with Sarah Wilson, a sociology instructor for Portage Learning and nurse extraordinaire! She shared with me a little about her experience as a nurse and what advice she has for future nurses and current sociology students:

What do you enjoy most about teaching Sociology with Portage Learning?

“I enjoy teaching Sociology with Portage for two reasons: the students and the creativity behind the course! Sociology is one small step for people on a much longer road.  It is my hope that throughout the course, each person will learn more about oneself and how the world works. This course offers creative videos and readings that invoke critical thinking skills. As a nurse, I can whole heartedly note that critical thinking skills are what separate good nurses from great nurses.”

You have a background as a nurse, what do you enjoy most about nursing?

“Currently, I am a nurse on a pediatric cardiac intensive care unit.  This unit has very high acuity patients and has challenged me to the very essence of who I am.  As a nurse on this unit, I am able to care for both patients and families during an incredibly difficult and vulnerable time in their life. It is an honor to be with patients and families during both joy of recovery and sorrow and loss. People deserve to be treated with dignity, respect and compassion.  Nursing allows me to care for patients in this manner.”

If you could impart one piece of advice to future nurses out there, what would it be?

“If I could teach novice nurses one thing, it would be to speak up! Patient advocacy is a primary responsibility for nurses. This is where critical thinking comes into play.  Nurses must practice in excellence, which means knowing your patient holistically.  It involves doing what is right for every patient, every time. Nurses need to be confident and comfortable being the voice of their patient, challenging people if things do not seem right and coordinating interdisciplinary teamwork to provide safe high quality healthcare to every patient, every time.”

Any advice for your sociology students?

“Read your essay responses out loud before submitting them! This is a great trick my high school English teacher taught me.  If it doesn't sound good to you, it will not make sense to me. I am looking for thoughtful responses; I want to know what you think! I do not grade based on if we share the same opinion or not. Instead, I grade based on your ability to articulate your opinion with a well-supported argument.”

When you’re not working as a nurse or teaching sociology, what do you like to do?

“I will let you in on a secret; I am a bit of a nerd. When I am not working, I spend a lot of time reading about pediatric cardiology and research.  But more than reading, I love spending time with my family.  We spend a good amount of time in western New York on Lake Erie biking, kayaking and playing cards.”

Blog Archive
Comments (42) - Post a Comment
Your good knowledge and kindness in playing with all the pieces were very useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not encountered such a step like this.
Jury at 1:43pm EDT - April 29, 2017
Jury at 1:20am EDT - June 17, 2017
As a medical attendant happening this component, I am ready to administer to the two patients as well as relatives amid a fantastically troublesome and helpless moment in point in their existence. It includes making the right decision for each tolerant, without fail.
Get Home Work Online at 2:51am EDT - July 21, 2017
It is my expectation that all through the course, every individual will take in more around oneself and how the world functions. This course offers imaginative recordings and readings that summon basic speculation aptitudes.
College Homework Help at 6:02am EDT - July 28, 2017
Starting and actualizing a composed nursing care design, individualized to the necessities of the every patient. Evaluating persistent/family instruction needs and arranging and giving the important educating. Taking an interest in building up the release design with the patient/family, doctor, social specialist, and other staff individuals. Working together with other medicinal services colleagues to facilitate therapeutic and nursing administration of patient care.
Cheap Essay Help at 1:46am EDT - August 12, 2017
Nursing is a subspecialty of nursing that works with babies conceived with an assortment of issues running from rashness, birth abandons, disease, cardiovascular distortions, and surgical issues. The neonatal period is characterized as the main month of life; notwithstanding, these babies are regularly debilitated for a considerable length of time.
assignment writing uk at 6:56am EDT - August 15, 2017
I need to recognize what you think! I don't review in view of on the off chance that we share a similar conclusion or not. Rather, I review in view of your capacity to verbalize your conclusion with a very much upheld contention."
Buy Essay  at 1:03am EDT - August 25, 2017
"I will give you access on a mystery; I am somewhat of a geek. When I am not working, I invest a great deal of energy perusing about pediatric cardiology and research. Yet, more than understanding, I cherish investing energy with my family. We invest a decent measure of energy in western New York on Lake Erie biking, kayaking and playing cards."
Do My Essay  at 1:04am EDT - August 25, 2017

This is a to a wonderful degree lighting up article. I furthermore agree with your post title and your genuinely well outline your point of view. I am astoundingly perky to see this post. A dedication of gratefulness is all together for share with us. Keep it up and share the more most related post.

Extraordinary work!
Buy Essay at 9:05am EDT - September 8, 2017
This course offers inventive recordings and readings that summon basic intuition abilities. As a medical attendant, I would whole be able to heatedly take note of that basic intuition abilities are what isolate great medical attendants from awesome attendants.
Resident Evil Jacket Buy Movie Jackets at 10:02am EDT - September 9, 2017
Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog is in the same niche as yours, and my users would benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thank you.

halloween wishes 2017
happy halloween sayings 2017
halloween greetings 2017
halloween quotes 2017
Happy Halloween 2017 at 12:11pm EDT - September 20, 2017
it's miles honestly vital to generate template like that earlier than developing a submit. it’s the part of seek engine advertising and marketing, and it`s term at some point of which we will increase over leads immediately. in any case excellent stuffs and fantastic study, maintain it up thank you.
Vin Diesel Furious 7 Jacket at 9:20am EDT - September 22, 2017
In 2009, endeavors started in the Boston Children's Hospital pediatric heart basic care unit to build up a device that could qualify and measure the mind boggling appraisal, observing and therapeu­tic mediations performed by medical attendants nurturing cardiovascular patients.
order custom assignment at 8:47am EDT - October 5, 2017
Have you accidently closed tabs in Chrome or Firefox browser? TricksTalks has written a guide on how to open closed tabs in Chrome and Firefox browsers.
TricksTalks at 5:09pm EDT - October 12, 2017
You like Zarine Khan? Get the best and unseen, hot Zarine Khan Images on ViralClass.com.

Zarine Khan Images at 1:09am EDT - October 17, 2017
It is my desire that all through the course, every individual will take in additional around oneself and how the world capacities. This course offers creative chronicles and readings that summon fundamental hypothesis aptitudes.
cheap essay help at 9:55am EDT - November 2, 2017
itechrock is technology blog which keeps you updated with all the latest news about android. we also provide free download apps
original site at 4:29am EDT - November 4, 2017
Find hundreds of free printable Disney coloring pages. Check out our collection of Disney famous character coloring pages from all Disney programs:
Disney coloring pages at 4:24pm EST - November 26, 2017
Unde dolor repudiandae corporis quia aut autem tempora id qui similique consequat Accusantium debitis quaerat
Tara Hayes at 9:47am EST - December 9, 2017
TheTexting offers Web to text and SMS Gateway. Both are perfect for just uploading your CSV or Excel file with all the information unique to each number.
Bulk Texting at 7:38am EST - February 8, 2018
The ecclesiastical historian Socrates Scholasticus attributes the observance of Easter by the church to the perpetuation of its habit, "just like many different customs have been established", stating that neither Jesus nor his Apostles enjoined the keeping of this or some festival. Even though he explains the particulars of this Easter celebration as deriving from regional convention, he insists that the banquet itself is detected.

happy easter clipart
happy easter pics
good friday 2018 images at 5:37am EDT - March 22, 2018
Download OS X BlueStacks Uninstaller for free
bluestacks 3 download at 6:03am EDT - March 28, 2018

--------
Ramadan status 2018 - ramadan wishes 2018
Mohsen at 8:16am EDT - April 17, 2018
Things Are Very Open And Intensely Clear Explanation Of Issues. Was Truly Information. Your Website Is Very Beneficial.
BBA Assignment Help at 2:11am EDT - May 8, 2018
This Is Really Great Work. Thank You For Sharing Such A Good And Useful Information Here In The Blog For Students.
Audit Assignment Help at 3:26am EDT - May 8, 2018
Audit Assignment Help at 3:27am EDT - May 8, 2018
I Am So Happy To Read This. This Is The Kind Of Manual That Needs To Be Given And Not The Random Misinformation That's At The Other Blogs.
Autocad Assignment at 4:08am EDT - May 8, 2018
This Is Really A Great Stuff For Sharing. Keep It Up .Thanks For Sharing.
Finance Homework and Project at 11:56pm EDT - May 30, 2018
Homework Assistance Australia at 3:46am EDT - May 31, 2018
Jeffrey Crosier at 1:55am EDT - June 1, 2018
This Is Really A Great Stuff For Sharing. Thanks For Sharing.
Help With Asp.net Homework at 12:03am EDT - June 8, 2018
Well Thanks For Posting Such An Outstanding Idea. I Like This Blog & I Like The Topic And Thinking Of Making It Right.
Take My Managerial Accounting Homework at 3:50am EDT - June 8, 2018
Amazing idea, i simply loved it. Thanks
Eid ul Adha Mubarak at 1:31pm EDT - July 8, 2018
Thank you for sharing the concept.
Download FTS 18 at 1:33pm EDT - July 8, 2018
You have shared very valuable information. :) loganx
Jimmie at 6:53am EDT - July 20, 2018
This is such a nice post to share. Looking forward to explore more of such posts..
Take my online class at 10:47am EDT - July 26, 2018
geometry dash
The rain brings sadness. And I'm sad that my web rankings are not as good as I expected. I need money for her to come to me! Feeling sad
happy wheels at 3:54am EDT - August 29, 2018
Java Programming Project Help at 6:45am EDT - September 22, 2018
Science Channel’s Are Giving A Complete Knowledge To Its Viewers About Every Thing Students Write Done Dissertation On This Subjects And Show Its Importance.
Help With My Online Course at 7:22am EDT - September 22, 2018
Working within the pediatric intensive care unit (p.C.), an excessive-tech kid's offerings place for severely ill, medically complex and/or put up-surgical patients, pediatric extensive care nursing jobs additionally involve collaboration with households, physicians, and different healthcare experts.
Buy Essays Papers at 1:29am EDT - October 5, 2018
Pediatric intensive care unit (%) the pediatric intensive care unit (p.C.) is a 24 mattress scientific/surgical unit. ... The p.C. Gives an environment for secure, powerful, 24-hours nursing care to critically sick patients with an emphasis on the recuperation of sufferers' maximum nation of fitness and well-being.
Homework Services at 1:30am EDT - October 5, 2018
A pediatric intensive care unit, usually abbreviated to p.C., is a place inside a health center specializing inside the care of seriously sick infants, youngsters, and young adults.
Can I Pay Someone To Do My College Homework at 3:20pm EDT - October 9, 2018